Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Something new!


Ok tonight, I am really drunk and waiting for my friend to drive 8+ hours up to NJ from VA. This may or may not detract from my post. Either way.. this evening my good friend who also lives down south(and may write for this blog in the future), sent me the new Cali=Gari single which he recieved in the mail today! So I will do my best to review, at least the A-sides on these singles!

As you guys know by now, I pretty much think of Cali=Gari as my favoite, or one of my quite favorites( in top 5 at least)!

I have come to the conclusion that, these two singles are for this day and age, with my musical taste, for the most part, perfect. (also, picture unrelated)
---------------------------------------------------------------







Cali=Gari '9-to-hen' and '9-school zone-hen' are an amazing release for 2009 I havent heard music like this released since Cali=Gari broke up, which was in 2003, and since then, I haven't been exceptionally impressed with a whole lot of Japanese rock. (there are a few exceptions of course!)

Anyhow, the A-sides are both very unique songs. The song 'to', written by Ishii Shuuji, has a definite sound of his project, GOATBED, but also has that something extra that can only be found in Cali=Gari, I would go so far as to describe it as unique, a little bit of insanity, added to the fantastic musical composition, and fantastic musicianship. I am truly glad they decided to put this out.

The video isn't a PV, but is one of my favorite examples of Cali=Gari's music ;D


The other A-side, 'School Zone' is composed by AO, the guitarrist and usual composer of most of Cali=Gari's previous music. This single definitely has a sound of his side project, LAB the Basement. However, as he composed much of Cali=Gari's old music, this song sounds much more like traditional Cali=Gari, but definitely has some aspects of his solo music in it. The simple melodies are carried through out the song are definitely recognizable as Ao's style, but again, can't be classified, especially with Shuuji's voice, as anything but Cali=Gari.

The B-sides are really strange, which isn't unexpected, sounding like they were recorded in someone's bedroom (as my friend put it). In any case, they are very entertaining.

Overall I give Cali=Gari's two new '9' singles a 92% on the awesome meter.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Beautiful.

Today doesn't have a band of the day, but as you've already heard To, on the PV I posted earlier, please enjoy the other A-side: School Zone.

Also, I would like to note that both of these singles are offically released today in Japan :]


No comments: