Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Moonies and the moon.


Why hello there my internet neighbors, it's been a while. A few things have happened since the last time I posted here and I will get to all of them in good time. First order of business.. After great deliberation and concentration, I have decided that my favorite band is now Coaltar of the Deepers. MUCC was #1 for as long as I can remember, but they have been putting out music that doesn't mesh well with my tastes (for the past 5 years or so) and have lost the top spot.

So far 2010 has had many Japanese releases.. few of which I feel have been notable. As of right now 9Goats Black Out are on indefinite hiatus, somehow Cali=Gari who revived for (a supposedly short time) is still together and we don't really know what's happening there. Cali=Gari released "≠" which is actually the symbol in their name but rotated 90 degrees. *I'm just too lazy to find that symbol each time I write their name. 9Goats Black Out released their actual first full length album, which I don't like very much.. UnsraW released a mini album called "GUILTY" which is actually really good. There was some other release that underwhelmed me so much that I can't even think of it now.. But the true heroes of 2010 so far have been Munimuni, with their first full album release Magical Moonies.

Completely out of left field Magical Moonies delighted the shit out of me, it's 11 songs, maybe about half of them are re-recordings of their older songs and there might be 1 or 2 songs on the album that are difficult for me to listen to, but overall it's a SUPER solid album that I wasn't expecting to make such an impression on me.

Munimuni is an Angura-kei band, self described as "Sadistical Punk" and I saw someone recently refer to them as "a dirty mix between Lunasea and the Cure" which I think is a fair way to put it. It makes me think of a band full of bat-shit insane people who are extremely musically talented. In fact, it's quite difficult for me to describe their music in any kind of coherent way.. I think you just need to listen to it.


I apologize for not posting much recently, but soon I will get back into the swing of things, and with a new trip to the land of the rising sun on the horizon, I will have some great stories for you, but until then I will continue being extremely lazy.

No song of the day today, I guess you could call Munimuni the band of the day.. but I will have more to say next time we speak, adieu intarwebs~

No comments: