Monday, May 7, 2007

Flight




Salutations intarweb.


Today I shall be reviewing MUCC's new single 'Flight'.. I haven't officialy stated this but, MUCC is one of my top 3 along with Cali=Gari and Guniw Tools, but in no particular order, I am friends with Yukke, and I've met all of MUCC on a few occassions, they even published a photo of Miya and I in some magazine. (credits to Kristin for finding this for me~)


Ok well enough with the shameless self promotion, and on with the review :D

---------------------------------------------------------------



MUCC - Flight



MUCC's Flight is release 3 out of 4 in a consecutive release campaign to celebrate MUCC's 10th anniversary.. wow 10 years and these guys are still rockin hard.


In another one of those seriously rare events, the B-side is what really shines on this release, Flight is one of those silly, lighthearted tracks that sound more like some happy Tokyo-kei bands.. I won't name any names but you all know who you are. This feels more like Utagoe or some of the laem songs from Hoyoku, which we will pretend never happened. Anyway there's nothing particularly catchy, exciting or amazing about flight. Sorry D:
Now the B-side Kanashii Hanashi, it kicks ass, not majorly but minor ass kicking is abound. This song pronounces MUCC's sarcastic, darker side, while the music isnt really heavy, the content* however is heavy, with a hoarse, grungy bass line, a solid, catchy beat and twinkly guitars accenting that bass line. Tatsurou also often sings like hes got a smirk on his face while he's singing, like he's secretly laughing at you. (which I personally enjoy)

*on another note I should explain the content, business.. I've said this a few times now, basically the music isnt full of super hard guitars and crashing cymbals but instead the songs chord progression makes the song sound darker and less laem and cheery.

Overall this single doesn't live up to my expectations.. Which ARE ridiculously high, but MUCC has proven to live up to them on many occassions.


I give MUCC's Flight single a 44% on the awesome meter.

No comments: