Thursday, May 31, 2007

The revolution

OK so i'm a little late on this one.. but I hope you guys can cut me a break.. I somehow wound up in Las Vegas, where I am right now.

Anyhow I flew down to LA last thursday for the Jrock Revolution music festival, and waited in lines for a good 30+ hours. But I'll tell you it was fucking worth it.

The first day of the show was Kagrra, Duel Jewel, Miyavi, Alice Nine and Vidoll. Aside from Kagrra, the performances were CRAP. There was nothing in any way shape or form good about any of it. I was looking forward to Duel Jewel honestly.. and I do enjoy their recorded albums a bunch (especially the newest one)... But they SUCK live. Kagrra, was the only redemption on the first day, they always put on a great show, but they also played first, which probably means they are the least popular out of ALL the bands that were playing. For me it was like OPENING BAND day and REAL BAND DAY, except for Kagrra, who kicked ass.

My guess is that you all know about Skin by now, but if you don't, let me inform you. The unscheduled craziness that I had predicted came to pass. In the form of a 'Jrock' supergroup called Skin. We don't have any details about who is going to be doing what yet, but Yoshiki, Gackt, Sugizo and Miyavi (-_-;). Honestly everyone loses points, and they lose even more points because the band's first performance is going to be at an anime convention.......
Miyavi was already low on the list.. and Sugizo and Yoshiki are old (maybe they can still rock, but I haven't seen any recent proof of this).. But Gackt should be ashamed of himself!

The second day however in which Merri, Gilgamesh, D'espairsRay and MUCC played was godly. I had high hopes for this day and I was NOT disappointed, except by MUCC who decided to play nothing but new songs. Merri was great, they sounded great live, put on a sick show making the crowd go nuts and I could tell that many of the fans were new to Merri.

Gilgamesh were the stars of the event by far. They put on one of the best live performances I have EVER seen.. They rocked so hard that people were beating the shit out of each other in the pit, which by the way was pretty non-existant the first day. I saw a few girls get either knocked out or pass out from suffocation, and be carried from the venue. Gilgamesh commanded respect, and did everything right, they sounded better live than they do recorded, which is completely mind blowing. Gilgamesh gets 2 hearty thumbs up and totally broke the awesome meter. Especially with that mission impossible theme playing hahaha. Oh man, everyone else got pwn'd by that live.



D'espairsRay played all songs from their new album, they put on a great show and Zero had the heavy metal power that night.

MUCC played a setlist that didn't fit that night at ALL.

And thank god there was no Miyavi faggotry the second night.

That is all for now.. I'll be writing more on this subject when I am less distracted :D

No comments: