Friday, May 11, 2007

Into the dark.


Today I was thinking about the future of Japanese Rock and the bands that currently exist, are forming and whats happening there.. I suppose this fits into the category of predictions and magical monkfish insight.

We all know that the average life span of a Japanese Rock band is like 3 years.. Which is probably 1-2 albums and a few singles. I would assume that the reason for such an ephemeral existence is pride. Japanese people have lots of pride and definitely will never intentionally lose face.. so the result is that when an arguement happens internally in a band, rather than come to a conclusion and work together, people will leave and as my friend pointed out, musicians in the Japanese rock world don't really like talking about past projects. So we never really find out why these things happen.

Anyway here's my insight for the day:

MUCC is going to keep expanding and putting out whatever they feel like, until someone decides to grow cornrows, and MUCC disbands.

Gilgamesh is going to get a bit more popular, but never become HUGE.

D'espairsRay is going to start playing many shows overseas, get steadily more popular, but never break out of the indie scene. I also see the future music being excellent :D

Sadie is going to get a lot more popular, but put out not as good music, and lose steam. (they are putting out a new mini album in July too)

Dio is pretty interesting, I can't really tell whats going to happen there.. but I don't see them sticking around for too long.

The Studs are going to be a huge hit, even though their music isn't going to be amazing (Sorry Daisuke D:)
D (I have to say I've been really enjoying D recently) I don't see them as horribly ambitious but I think they will continue putting out amazing music and making me happy :D
UnsraW can go in one of two directions, either going back to their earlier musical style and kicking ass, possibly becomming hueg in the indie scene, or they will continue with the style of their last album and fall on their faces.

And last but not least I don't see much of a future for Dir en grey. Mostly because after Withering to Death, which I liked mostly because I was in Japan and seeing their live when it came out, they are trying to become an American sounding band. Unless they can put out original delicious stuff with the creativity of their old music, its over. (they will struggle, still being successful but musically laem, until the band members realize whats happening and leave.)

I see a rising star, for definitely Syu of Aushvitz, Galneryus and Animetal is going to join or start some kind of super band and become legendary. At least if he leaves the indie world he will.. and I'm all for it, I want to see this guy succeed.

No comments: